DJHJD

DJHJD

Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Ah Wednesday in Austin. Scott gets up late and I had a chance to sleep in for once.

He has this dazzling little computer with a tiny keyboard that looks all fashionable, but it hard to work with since it is about the size of a laptop keyboard.

He has a gorgeous apartment and it's impossible to argue that Austin is a huge order of magnitude more lovely than workaday Houston is. However, I'm fully invested in Houston, and this will remain a place to travel to. Scott keeps telling me he wants me to move here, but there is no income foundation for me here.

Last night, I got to thinking about my consulting work, and the effort that I produce for people. I have been billing $75/hour of late, but .... if boy hustlers are worth at least $150 an hour for questionable value, I think that I am undercharging for things that make such a huge difference in people's lives or businesses.

So, last night while at Charlie's where Scott was trying to find us some boy hustlers, I gave myself a raise.

Judy is coming on Friday for three days to "polish" her business plan. I have decided that she's getting eight hours of work, period. She had originally proposed $1000, and now it's $800, half in advance and half on completion. Okay, well, I'm not putting in three weeks' of work like I did for R&R for $800. Their business plan actually took six weeks of working on it about three hours a day of steady work. The amount of time that I spent gestating on it and so on was much greater than that.

If I were using my regular keyboard, I'd have this already knocked out.

Austin is populated with a seeming throng of young men under 24. They are all 'cute' and 'stylish' and utterly uninteresting. Scott revels in their presence, and frankly, I couldn't be less concerned.

I am so glad to be going home tomorrow to a work space that is totally caught up with everything. I will have Scott's tax returns to synthesize, and a few other projects, but, that's NEW work, not something that has been hanging out around for weeks.

Anyway, that's the story. It was HOT yesterday, and Ruby ran flawlessly, as always. I'm so glad that she's getting new brakes on Friday, as hers are down to the nub. I have obviously adjusted my braking behavior to reduce stress on her, and yesterday when in traffic or following Scott home from the office (he seems to think he's Speed Racer) I could tell that she was laboring with the brakes in their current condition. I just hope that her rotors are still in good shape.

Okay, well, about 30 more hours and then I'm headed home to my world.

No comments: