DJHJD

DJHJD

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Some clips from an article that I found speaks for me

This is from Daily Kos' poster AndyS in Colorado:

The first thing you should know about me is, I have Republican and right wing friends and family.

You should not take this in any way as approving of you, your philosophy, or the way those prominent people among you have destroyed and ruined not only the country, but the ability of some of us to even view you as fellow countrymen.

Nevertheless, I recognize the ability (unlike many of you) the need to "go along to get along".

To me, you "all" have destroyed civility, dialog, and compatriotship. Not me. To me, we are not fellow Americans, but only because you have made being fellow Americans impossible. We are Americans, you are something else. And I will not get into that here.

See, I don't want to destroy you, at least, not as human beings (I may very well want to destroy your political party). Instead, I want you to hit bottom.

So the first, Republican friends: These are business colleagues. I had no choice in their political affiliations. One of them told me, "All liberals should be lined up against a wall and shot", without provocation of any sort. He was smiling when he said it, but his eyes were cold. He meant it. Nevertheless, he and I are quite friendly and that relationship continues to this day. But, you should not confuse a necessary relationship with an optional one. And you should realize, even from these people, my attitude towards you all is informed by those people.

The second: Republican family: I barely talk to them anymore, in some sense, to my sorrow, in another sense, thanks to my final inability to take any more nonsense.

Other than those two categories, I have no Republican friends, nor do I wish for any.

Bill O'Reilly may state that liberals "hate" you. This is a distortion, but there is an element of juvenile truth in that observation, and I will explain the how and the why:

First of all, I despise the Republican predeliction for demonizing everything and everyone who (and that) does not conform to your ideology. It's not just that "you" started it, it's that the leaders of your movement, which you evidently approve of, continue it, with no evidence of contrition, remorse, or even will to desist.

What you may think you are seeing as "hate", I ask you to consider, as a somewhat dimmer reflection of your own hate, reflected back at you. And, like a reflection, it is a projection, the reflection of which will stop as soon as y'all stop emitting the radiation.

For me, as a gay man, it is very similar to a homophobe telling me I'm "intolerant" of them. Well, yes, that may be true, in terms of being intolerant of the intolerant, but only because homophobes tell me things like I should be put into a gas chamber, or a concentration camp. And, yes, I have been told those things directly.

In fact, I take it back -- it's exactly the same.

It's a point of human nature that those you hate will tend to hate you back, or at the very least, dislike you. I know of very few people (even so-called "Christians") who can rise above this basic human instinct to dislike those who dislike you. Yes, the Christian tradition tells its adherents to "love their enemies", though apparently very few of their followers actually seem to observe it.

And here is the rub, and a big part of the reason I consider Bill O'Reilly and all those like him, at best juvenile. What I would ask him: Just what the hell do you expect?

I will confess, unless you fit into the two categories listed above as people I have to deal with, I don't want anything to do with you.

You are not welcome in my home. I will not offer to sit down with you over a cup of coffee. I do not wish to speak with you or hear anything you have to say.

That is not because I am a hateful person -- exactly the opposite. It is because I have, finally, had enough of your (or at least, your political movement's) hate.


We are back, and we're done taking crap from you. So the best thing for your movement to do would be to dump your Ann Coulters, your Rush Limbaughs, your Newt Gingrich's and your Bill O'Reillys, your Michael Savages, your Michelle Malkins, your Jonah Goldbergs .. see? the list is endless. If you think you are better than them, then dump them in the garbage where they belong. And stop demonizing "liberals" as an entire group.

And maybe, just maybe, you should avoid slurs such as "Democrat" when "Democratic" is the appropriate word.

We will do the same, but we need good faith from you first, since your movement, by and large, started the hatemongering as a political tool. Nothing less will do than good faith first from you, for me.

If you genuinely are bewildered at so-called "liberal hate" you have only to read Daily Kos for a while, and witness the daily body dump of right wing hatred and contempt for us, to realize why.

If you want a real dialog, a productive dialog, it is possible, but not under the conditions your movement has fostered, and the conditions it has maintained.

If you want to fix it, and have a dialog, the proper time for a dialog is when you have communicated with your movement's leaders, and reformed yourselves. Until then, I believe, you are simply pissing in the wind. Some, well, ok, many of us are done with you.
If you want to have a dialog with me, you cannot have it under conditions of either direct or proxy contempt.

And, I'm sorry, but that's not unreasonable, or in any way, even remotely, "hateful".

Goodbye, and good luck.

No comments: