DJHJD

DJHJD

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Happy Hump Day that felt like Thursday

So, health insurance. Chuck, being healthy and under 40, gets about a hundred dollars a month. Me, being none of the above, gets $460/month, plus a $2500 deductible, or $8020 per year ASSUMING I have no major health issues. Every year. If I billed forty hours a week (which is radically unlikely) that would be $3.85/hour for health insurance for me.

I usually successfully bill only twenty hours/week, the rest of the time being unrecoverable, so it's more like $8.00/hour for health insurance.

And I thought the VW Phaeton was expensive at $3.00/mile.

I've been thinking about cars. I talked to Jayne last night, and she's expecting me to tell her today what it is that I want. Thus, I've been thinking.

1. When I drove the Lucerne, we barely made it out of the parking lot, and I thought "this is it."
2. When the one I ordered came in, even though it was covered in bird poo and dirt, I had tingles when I saw it
3. When I've been just letting an image of a new car come to me, that's what I see in the garage
4. Buick is giving one away
5. I didn't feel "this is it" when I was driving the 300C
6. The only car that's given me those sorts of feelings has been the Lucerne

So, I really do want a Lucerne CXS with nav and an XM radio. Black, please.

Two really fun things today -

First, in case you missed it, our gummint is CHARGING our citizens who are in Lebanon for their evacuation. They are required to either give over a signed, blank check - or sign a blank promissory note. Once the cost is determined, they'll be notified - as the check hits their bank.

However, to make the situation sillier - check this out. They're expecting the 23,000 US citizens who are NOT being accomodated today to .. wait for a phone call or check the Embassy's website. In a country with no electricity and no phone service, because the Israelis targeted civilian infrastructure.

Just to be clear - THIS IS A COMPLETELY REPUBLICAN ADMINISTRATION. The "liberals" have NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS BEHAVIOR. The "liberals" have NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING. The only party in power is the REPUBLICAN PARTY. The only people making decisions at all are the REPUBLICANS.

Glad you're not in Lebanon?

Just as a teaser - the woman who gave over the 2000 election to Geo. W. - the woman who was his state campaign chairperson, but also responsible for counting the Florida vote - the woman who is running to un-seat one of the few remaining Demos in the world - has advanced to Level Four of the Political Scandal Process (thanks to Justin Rood of TPM Muckraker for that cute distinction)

She's now a TARGET of Federal (Republican) prosecutors for illegal fundraising and taking bribes. As a FRESHMAN Representative from Sarasota.

And all of you who thought I was being unreasonable saying she was a cheat and a liar back in 2000 - what have you to say NOW?

I'm telling you - read the book "What's the Matter with Kansas?" After I posted this morning, I read some more of it, and was just overcome - I have so many friends who are mouthing the very same nonsense - that government is bad, etc., etc. No facts, just generalizations to back it up. Generalizations which were never empirically founded and have been empirically disproved, and yet which persist. Such as the "Welfare Queens in Cadillacs" nonsense that never existed, and "illegal aliens with free healthcare" crap.

Uh - check the beginning of the post. It ain't free. It ain't free ANYWHERE.

If you don't start reading, I'll start posting a synopsis.

No comments: