DJHJD

DJHJD

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Hump day - hither and yon day

It's not quite time for leaving to the Clinic for my follow up appointment; banking this morning was easy. Very few emails - I spent about twenty minutes unsubscribing for lists that were to have given me information about how to market my website - it was all a bunch of horse hockey, inasmuch as they were all trying to sell me something, and they swap the lists around. So, I was getting twenty of these idiot emails each day, sometimes three and four times from the same sender, telling me that I shouldn't buy this program! It's free (if I sign up for this special offer.

What crap. I'd been deleting them, and last night finally got fed up and just nuked 'em all. So, the email load this morning was much lower.

I was all excited last night; I washed the new sheets (after I figured out another place to plug in the washing machine) and I also laundered the silk duvet cover - all of which are the same lovely shade of merlot red. I've never bought $75 sheets before, even though that's not what I paid for these sheets, that's what they were at retail before the mark down and my big discount coupon. I was so excited to slide in between them last night, and this morning discovered that I had not pulled the sheet back, I had just slept beneath the comforter. Ah, well. There's tonight.

Ruby's transmission started slipping last night on the way home from Bed, Bath & Beyond - that was enough to set one's brain to spinning, I can tell you.

Watched "Twisted" with Samuel Jackson and Ashley Judd last night. Oof. It was twisted, yes it was. She was manipulated and twisted in the wind; it wasn't easy to figure out who the actual killer was until the very last scene. There was an actorin the film who had a non-speaking role; Ashley picks him up in a bar and takes him to his place for athletic sex. What a body! Woof.

Somewhere in between my efforts to launder the sheets, make dinner, clean house, work on the computer, and so on - I managed to trip a circuit breaker last night. This circuit stretches from the laundry room, all around the kitchen counters to the microwave - it's funky. I still haven't figured out how to bring it all back to life, which means that there's a LOONG extension cord in the dining room to get my coffee maker enough power to produce java.

I think this house just needs a lot of electrical help.

WE INTERRUPT THIS BLOG FOR SOME BREAKING NEWS

From Daily Kos

BREAKING: Bush Grants Self Permission To Grant Self More Power

In a decisive 1-0 decision Monday, President Bush voted to grant the president the constitutional power to grant himself additional powers.

The Presidential Empowerment Act, which the president hand-drafted on his own Oval Office stationery and promptly signed into law, provides Bush with full authority to permit himself to authorize increased jurisdiction over the three branches of the federal government, provided that the president considers it in his best interest to do so. "In a time of war, the president must have the power he needs to make the tough decisions including, if need be, the decision to grant himself even more power," Bush said. "To do otherwise would be playing into the hands of our enemies." ...

Senior administration officials lauded Bush's decision, saying that current presidential powers over presidential power were "far too limited." ...

Despite the president's new powers, the role of Congress and the Supreme Court has not been overlooked. Under the new law, both enjoy the newly broadened ability to grant the president the authority to increase his presidential powers. ... Republicans fearful that the president's new power undermines their ability to grant him more power have proposed a new law that would allow senators to permit him to grant himself more power, with or without presidential approval.

WE NOW RETURN YOU TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED RAMBLING

Okay, maybe not - this is too juicy for words - From tpmmuckraker

In Congress, the French Fries Are Back
In an unannounced move, the House cafeteria has removed the terms "freedom fries" and "freedom toast" from its offerings, and has reverted to using the dishes' more common names, "french fries" and "french toast."

Rep. Bob Ney (R-OH), who had implemented the change in 2003 in a fit of hollow but PR-friendly patriotism, refused to comment on the switch. "We don't have a comment for your story," a spokesman for Ney said.

Owing to his notably unpatriotic involvement in the Abramoff scandal, Ney was several months ago forced to step down from his post as chair of the House Administration Committee, which oversees the cafeteria menu, among other things. The change appears to have been made by Rep. Vernon Ehlers (R-MI), although he too declined comment.

An indictment for Ney is rumored to be mere weeks away, which could send him to prison. If that's the case, we wonder: will he rename it "the freedom house?"

Okay, NOW we can get back to the meaningless tripe.

I need more coffee before I can continue, so you'll have to assume that there's a pause here.

Okay, we're back.

Yesterday, as I was driving home from downtown, I was cruising out the Westpark toll road at about 65 mph, and was passed by a black Phaeton - non-factory grill, all badges removed, limo tint on the windows, big wheels, Louisiana plates - they were going about 85 mph. Everyone was staring at that car - what IS it? It looked HOT. And me having just found that little plastic scraper tool to remove badges from a car.

I did NOT win the Mega Millions last night. Bastards.

I have to get work going here - so I'm going to close this out and see about that.

(later)

A day of long meetings and short doctor visits. I finally cracked into the huge pile of filing stuff that was in the wire

basket; my intention is to have that all fully put away tonight so that tomorrow morning, I have only to work on client work with nothing of my own lingering about choking up my productivity.

Amazing what I found in there. Shit that should have just been put away or thrown away. Stuff that could have easily been put into a file, if you made a file for it. I can tell that going through the file drawers later is going to be a trip through dreamland. I should have taken a more hands on approach to it.

I think only once in my professional life did I have someone else managing the files for me that it was organized and worked out. What is up with THAT? When I manage my files myself, my attention to detail gets bogged down if I don't have a lot going on, and I just shove stuff into folders, but when I have a LOT going on, it gets VERY detailed and organized. And, I've been moving into having a lot going on.

Note to file: If dinner plans haven't been fully secured by 6:00, don't agree to go.

My cable modem is acting up again tonight - in frustration, I just unplugged it and took the battery out. It doesn't want to reboot, it doesn't have to. Maybe after I eat dinner so farcking late that my blood sugar will again be sky high tomorrow, it will feel more like cooperating. TWC is allegedly coming out tomorrow to work on it.

And, I still don't know just what the heck to do with the busted circuit breaker.

Back to the car, for another trip down the freeway. Only four days into this tank of gas, and it's almost gone, because I allowed myself to agree to appointments and engagements that were solo trips, instead of combining trips as I usually try to do. Tomorrow, I'm not starting the bastard.

Watch the transmission drop out of it tonight to accomodate my desire.

(later)

Dinner with Chuck and his Maracas from Caracas. That poor boy. How can he compete? Ah, well. It was good to spend some time with Chuck.

Then, it was TomTime - that was nice enough. Came home, and now I'm fiddling with the computer. I need to get into bed here fairly soon. I'm shopping on Froogle to see if I can find a non-factory grill for a Phaeton, like the one I saw yesterday.

No comments: