DJHJD

DJHJD

Monday, August 23, 2010

my email to Darrin at Beck and Masten Buick GMC today

So, you're all aware that I'm a car whore.  Currently, I'm captivated both emotionally and intellectually with the 2011 Buick Regal.  I saw it at the Houston (pathetic) car show in January, and I got to drive one a couple of Saturdays ago.  I've consumed every fragment and data bit of information that I can hunt down about the car, and I'm s-o-l-d.

Last week, after retuning from vacay with my fam, I found myself sans companions - as is my usual, but was newly unfamiliar to me - and I did my usual - which is to look at cars online.  I was delighted to see that Edmunds.com had uploaded the Regal CXL turbo information, which was brand new to the net - pricing, equipment, etc.  Edmunds provides a convenient "get a quote" link.  Being a.) bored, b.) lonely and c.) insane, I completed the online form and was nearly immediately rewarded with a barrage of automated emails from the five (5) Houston area Buick dealers that I chose.  Somehow, DeMontrond didn't make the cut (probably because they're not paying Edmunds off).

I had a single satisfactory conversation with one (1) Buick salesman following this web inquiry.  His automated responder just tonight emailed me with a follow up, and I replied to him thusly:

Hello Darrin -

Enjoyed speaking to you last week.

Edmunds sent out five requests for quote for the '11 Regal GXL turbo.

You replied cogently, spoke in a reasonable way, and suggested you'd call me when one came in that I could drive.  If one wasn't available as I would want (CXL turbo, 6AT pkg 5, espresso brown, cashmere), you'd help me order one.

I'm quite good with that answer, and you've got my business.  When one comes in, I hope to hear from you and I'll dash right up there to check it out with you.  I understand that they'll start shipping shortly.

You'll be quite entertained to hear of the other four responses:

  • David Taylor - replied that the Turbo won't be out until next year 2nd qtr (they must be thinking of the GS, which I didn't inquire about)
  • West Point - replied by phone and by email and blackberry at 10:30pm, then by phone and email and blackberry the next morning.  After I spoke to you, I spoke to him, and he suggested that I could come in right then and buy one - he'd find me one.  Uh, no.
  • Beck & Masten South - replied by email that the Turbo won't be out until the Spring - see David Taylor, above.
  • Casa - replied twice; internet "manager" (not the internet manager reflected on their website) replied that the turbo wasn't out, and they didn't know when that would be.  I tried to reply to his email, and his reply address failed.  Then, the internet manager (as listed on the website) contacted me by email to suggest that I'd really like the non-turbo, and I should come try one.  After I had made it clear to them that I'd already driven the CXL base, and wanted the CXL turbo.

So, man, you're the only Buick guy in town who's actually processing what the customer is asking for.  Kudos.  Call me when they're coming off the truck and I'm looking forward to meeting you then.

Doug Hord
Notes:
  1. If you're interested in a new Buick, go see Darin at Beck and Masten North.
  2. I love being again validated by my prior opinions of the idiots at David Taylor.

No comments: