DJHJD

DJHJD

Thursday, February 11, 2010

The heat is ON

And not in a kitschy, 80's music sort of a way.  The heat is on, because it's fricking COLD outside (hence inside). 

I awoke two hours ago, and got up - it's thunder-y and gray outside.  I still need to do laundry, but .. it's too cold to schlepp it outside I think.

It's raining consistently outside now.  I have a done of work to accomplish (again) today, so - nearly time to run off!

I *finally* drove the new Camaro the other day.  I've been to three dealers previously, and been told a.) we don't let anyone DRIVE them but buyers, b.) you'll have to give a $500 deposit to test drive it, and c.) we have no new ones, only used ones with zero mileage and a $4500 per unit markup. 

However, that nice Joe Mahlow at Mac Haik Chevy was a unique experience in the auto selling world.  Allow me to share with you my experience that recommends him quite highly:

  • He answered my internet inquiry.  He spelled everything correctly, and answered the questions posed cogently and specifically.
  • He greeted me, took me to the car we were discussing, answered questions, and seemed to be understanding that an internet buyer processes and decides differently than does a "traditional" buyer
  • He was very amenable to a follow up visit, as my time was limited.
  • He responded to my follow up email and answered my questions, and shared available choices with me
If you're anywhere in Southeast Texas, and if you're considering a Chevy, I recommend most highly that you talk to Joe.

I LOVE THE NEW CAMARO!

It drives very, very well - it's actually a sweet drive.

YES, it's tank-like in terms of outside viewing, but have any of the (under 40) reviewers so complaining about that issue EVER driven (when they were young and feeling their oats) a pre-1981 Camaro?  We are not talking about floor to ceiling windows here.

I think that a lot of reviewers miss the point entirely about the new Camaro - and, largely, the new Mustang and Challenger - these are not cars to provide for sensible transportation of an owner and their belongings/friends.  These are cars that are to provide persons who are a bit older a connection to that sense of pride, excitement and uniqueness that they enjoyed prior to the ascension of a B roll actor to the Presidency in having owned one of these cars in their youth.

I can appreciate that perhaps the Challenger has some features that are better than the Camaro, and that the redesigned Mustang may be a better driving and handling car than is either the Challenger or the Camaro, but the point is utterly missed.

If GM/Ford/FiatChry fka DamilerCo can capture the hearts and memories of a few tens of thousands of the millions upon millions of people who owned or were thwarted in their desires for their youthful dream car, they'll succeed mightily.  Just as has VW succeeded in this country with the New Beetle, the 'Murrican manufacturers are tapping into an aging market demographic of people who just want to drive what they felt good about BACK THEN, but updated for fuel economy, safety and convenience.

I, for one, am captivated.  I was never a Mustang man, and although I loved the Pentastar ponies, I was a Camaro kook from the get-go.  My hip and crazy cool Aunt Liz had a 1969 Camaro RS/SS convertible - black, black buckets, black top, hidden headlamps, Rallye II wheels, full console, four little secondary gauges on the console ..

That.  Car.  Was.  Cool.  Embodied.

Okay, so it drove atrociously, it rode poorly, it had no back seat, a mail slot trunk, and it was impossible to see out of, unless the top was down - BUT ..

My 1979 Camaro remains the favorite car I've ever owned.  Ever.  Ever ever.  But, that has little to do with its build quality, its ride quality, its handling ..

It was how I FELT.

The 2010 Camaro gets me back there.



No comments: