DJHJD

DJHJD

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Fantasies of solar panels

Well, we tried the EPA Energy Star programming for four days, and it's too bloody uncomfortable. Now, we're going with the Guy Energy sense program which is already more comfortable. Perhaps learning that there is a lock-out on the thermostat will spare me another $370 light bill.

Last night, though, we watched "A Crude Awakening," which was mildly disturbing, to say the least. Afterward, I was surfing around trying to find someone near Houston that installs residential solar electrical systems and .. didn't. Jeff from Orange County (who works for one of the big Sisters, formerly the Seven Sisters, but there's been some consolidation) tells me "it's very scary, but it's all true." What they say in the movie, that is. The cost of a residential system is going to be about $12,000 and there is a Federal tax credit, uncertain Texas credits and .. monthly savings averaging over $200.

One feels less like a granola chomping, hemp shoed nutball when one reads that far smarter people than I thought that this idea was how our country should be powered generally.

We almost played cribbage last night. It had been since I was a young teenager in Lake City, Michigan that I had played and the three cribbage boards that have floated down here to my life now sit in lonely silence on the coffee table. Somewhere, I even had a cribbage score pad, but I'm betting that was purged at some point. I had to go re-read the instructions in detail, and it seems clunky.

The cool front makes it possible that we could go outdoors after 7:00 or so and actually play around the patio table.

I'm hoping to toddle out onto the courtyard here in a short bit and clean up the plants and make it more appealing. Jeremy is feeling less than perfect, so we'll see if this comes together.

No comments: