DJHJD

DJHJD

Sunday, August 05, 2007

I look like Al Gore?

It must have just been the expression on my face.

Yesterday, I went to see "SiCKO" with David at the AMC Dunvale. Many of my readers have seen it. Many of my readers would rather cut off a limb and have to sit through an evening at Ben Taub's ER before they'd choose to see the film.

I'm just going to point out two things about the discussion of UHC -


Mark 12:28One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?"

29"The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.[e] 30Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.'[f] 31The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'[g]There is no commandment greater than these."

32"Well said, teacher," the man replied. "You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him. 33To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."

34When Jesus saw that he had answered wisely, he said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God." And from then on no one dared ask him any more questions.


“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.. I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
-- Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)


Let all bear in mind that a society is judged not so much by the standards attained by its more affluent and privileged members as by the quality of life which it is able to assure for its weakest members.
~H.E. Javier Perez de Cuellar

The moral test of a government is how it treats those who are at the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the aged; and those who are in the shadow of life, the sick and the needy, and the handicapped.
~Hubert Humphrey


Watching how France treats their citizens made me sick to my stomach. Watching how Cuban doctors took care of sick Americans for free made me ashamed. Having experienced the uninsured health care system in this country and having had the stress of uncertainty of being able to seek medical treatment, I can say that people who assault the concept of UHC are uninformed and without compassion or feeling for other people.

As we were walking out the the theater, a woman who had seen the movie with us said that I look like Al Gore.

A lovely compliment (in my book,) but not really true. I'd have to drop about 100 pounds, grow three inches, and slick my hair back. However, the moral indignation is there.

Guy thinks I need a radio show on XM, or that I should move to another, more equitable country. Bram's ready to head for France.

No comments: