DJHJD

DJHJD

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Thursday that feels like Monday

Yesterday, I started the post "Thursday that feels like Monday," and I got nothing but the title entered. So, although this looks like Thursday, it's actually Friday that feels like Tuesday.

Well, here I am OTB, running into work. While sometimes it seems to be the right thing to do to sleep in, this morning, getting up before 0600 and being on the 730 bus was definitely the right thing. I just can't seem to get comfortable though.

It looks like there's sunshine today! Who would have thought?

So much business came in yesterday, it was like a blizzard all day. That was pretty cool, but now I'm feeling like I need to create some organizational structure to keep it all organized and make sure that I don't drop something out. Yikes. I need for Tom to come in tomorrow and help me (or Chuck, hmm) clean off the old desktop and transfer files to the laptop. First one who responds...

And, I need to get some more filing work done on my desk. That's going to have to happen this morning.

I was thinking as I looked out over our water soaked landscape through my bedroom windows today - you know, all of this rain has kept the temperatures in Houston down below 90 for most of June and so far in July; is that such a bad thing? My power bill will be loving this.

The New York Times today has an article about flight delays and how full the airlines are. The next time you hear a talking head blather on about how there's so much overcapacity in the US airline system, answer me this: if the network carrier (United, American, Continental) load factors are all above 85% (as they are, meaning of all of the seats they operated in the previous month, 85% of them were full) how many 150 seat airplanes have to go out with 150 passengers to bring the average up to 85% of the total number of seats sold?

Answer: Most of them.

Had a dream last night about all of this business - in the dream, I just got adjusted to all of this activity that was demonstrating yesterday, and a truckload of NEW business came in. Then, I was being driven around in the back seat of a black Phaeton 4-seat, yapping on the phone. With my sister. Asking her "what is the reason for your call? How my business is doing is no business of yours."

I think I need to engage in some active forgiveness work with her.

Jackie this morning would NOT go out, wouldn't pee or go into the grass when I hooked her up on the leash anyway and dragged her out. After I ate, had two cups of coffee, showered, dressed, and came downstairs to see about catching the 7:30 bus, THEN she was all bouncy and "let's go pee, Daddy!" Well, okay. She's such a sweet soul. She needs a bath, and I have scheduled myself for work all day tomorrow. Sunday, we have our board meeting after church, so I'll be home very late then as well.

She just needs to go back to the groomer. Bleh.

The other day, I got into the car and noticed that the fuel consumption seemed to have jumped up strongly. Then, as I was driving, I was thinking "whoa! When did the engine get so powerful?"

Seems that the can of fuel system cleaner that they dumped into the car a few weeks ago has finally taken hold. Or something.

I noticed last evening OTB coming home that the drivers have adopted a pattern of moving along just around 20 miles per hour. This greatly reduces the amount of time that they're on the brake, and that they have to stop for lights. The driver this morning is going the same way. We're right now about halfway through with the total route, and we only have about ten people on the bus. After 8:00, this bus would be packed to the gills.

More reading about high speed rail yesterday. Wired's article, which I think I cross posted - if not, I'm a-gonna, was discussing the same old thing that everyone is talking about - how the energy savings alone provide enough incentive for government to create the tax breaks and eminent domain to create dedicated high speed rail routes between cities up to 500 miles apart.

Considering that the Feds won't upgrade the air traffic control system, and that the airlines are already at capacity, wouldn't it make sense to append onto the existing Interstate system and add high speed rail?

If that was done, what would it do for traffic flow on the interstate system? Of course, some businesses would suffer - when you make an adjustment somewhere, it shows up somewhere else - the airlines would have some diminished traffic, the gas stations and fast food restaurants along the interstates would have less business.

But, if it reduces the infrastructure spending on freeways, reduces pollution and fuel burn, adds productivity through recaptured time spent on travel, wouldn't those things be good? Socially and generally speaking?

This bus' brakes are grinding like mad. Yikes.

Okay, time to publish this one and see where the internet takes us next.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: