DJHJD

DJHJD

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

My letter to NPR

A few days ago, we had a storm related power outage, and my trusty clock radio needed to be reset. I had failed to get all the settings down, and I forgot to reset the morning alarm to KUHF, my local Public Radio station.

The last three mornings, I've been waking up to a shrill, mechanical "beep, beep, beep."

This morning, I awoke and I realized I was in a better mood on arising than I have been in many months.

Of course, I had to reflect on this a moment.

I am now free of listening to endless, pointless "news" about Iraq. That's what has elevated my mood. I no longer have to listen to car bombings, the pointless deaths of our soldiers, the posturing of our administration and the "loyal opposition" who offer no opposition at all to this illegal, senseless, horrific nightmare.

And since I live in a state in which there is no point to calling one of my fright wing Congressmen, I am free of the frustration of being able to do nothing about it at all.

I also realized that I've chosen to ride public transit four days a week, and my afternoons no longer lend themselves to listening to "All Things Considered" as I sit in bumper to bumper traffic.

Ditto with the input restrictions on listening to the same pointless recitation about Iraq.

And my mood is greatly improved.

So, I have now officially given up my mornings with "Morning Edition," and my evening drive times with "All Things Considered." Until it's over.

Ignorance is indeed bliss.

No comments: