DJHJD

DJHJD

Monday, January 13, 2003

Once more, with feeling

Matthew cancelled today - I guess that was fine - it was much cheaper than actually driving over to pick him up, taking him somewhere for dinner, then getting involved in any way only THEN to be snaggled by the "maybe" monster.

The maybe monster is a device used by younger people to avoid making a commitment or a negative reply. "Will you go to the party with me?" "Probably."

"Probably" falls into the great Divo rule of "any answer other than yes is no." "Probably" is "no" with a knife.

"Probably" means "not yes, but I'll have you think yes while I see if something better than you and your idea comes along."

Matthew is a heavy user of "probably."

Today, I asked a friend of mine if he'd like to come to my cocktail party, and he answered "Probably - I'll write it down, and see if I can make it."

Turns out he's been sick. I probably shouldn't have accused him of spending too much time chasing youngsters.

He does, though.

No comments: