DJHJD

DJHJD

Friday, January 08, 2010

And I STILL haven't turned on the heat

Day (I have no idea) of my effort to make it through the winter (albeit in Houston). We have had an "arctic front" come through, but I remain committed to keeping my furnace turned OFF.

Why, you may ask?

Well, it's partly because I feel that most people are weenies when it comes to temperature variations. And, because I love very low electric bills.

And I hate the smell the heater makes when it fires up for the first time.

There is also a dash of feeling superior - admittedly, a fairly big dash.

Now, on to the details!

Last night, we apparently had a "hard" freeze. Here in Houstonia, that has a different meaning than it did in my childhood - it just means that the temperature was at or below 32 degrees last night. My heat saving techniques involve blocking drafts, absorbing heat from my downstairs neighbor (I figure since I get all of their cooking smells, I'm going to collect their heat as well) and bundling up a bit.

The indoor temperature has been hovering between 58 and 65 for the last few days, and this morning was no different. Today's solar collection is looking good, as it's relatively sunny outside and I'm expecting the indoor temperature to return to near 63 this afternoon, even though the outdoor mercury isn't scheduled to climb above 35.

I'd be surprised if we didn't make it over 45 today, the high temperature forecasts here are usually off and on the low side.

If I can make it to Saturday afternoon without turning on the furnace, I may have this project cracked for this winter! I may end up having to cheat by baking some fresh bread and allowing the gas oven to heat the place a smidge.

No comments: