DJHJD

DJHJD

Saturday, November 01, 2008

Rainy rainy days

The first of November. It's raining steadily, overcast and fragrant here. I slept until nearly eleven this morning.

We "did" Halloween; my friend with whom I'm staying went as Supergirl - he looked great, and his friend was dressed as Marie Antoinette with this ENORMOUS Marge Simpson wig - he was over 7' tall in the 5" heels, the wig and everything. I wore my traditional red fairy costume. When I went to put it on, I didn't have to struggle to get into it - the tights and leotard just wooshed right on, and the costume hung on my like a flour sack. Last few years, I could hardly get the tights up to my hips. Last few years, I couldn't zip the leotard. It was very cool to have that kind of validation that I'd lost weight.

We went first down to the Castro, and wandered around a bit - into the Walgreens to get Marie a new set of press-on nails (they were completely out) - we kept getting stopped every few feet to have our pictures taken by tourists and people who weren't in costume. Several times, there were so many cameras going off that I felt a bit like David Beckham coming into LAX. We went into a bar, but it was so crowded in there that it was uncomfortable (my wings kept getting into people's way, and they'd just shove the wings aside) so we went to a private party in the Castro for a while, then up to Haight Ashbury to the big party of the evening.

Parking was a nightmare in the Haight; we ended up parking blocks and blocks away (and still getting a ticket) but the party was awesome. The costumes very impressive and creative, and the food was glorious! I kept getting chatted up by people who LOVED my fairy costume (which I'll have to have taken in next year, I think - it just was so .. baggy!) The hosts have no back yard to speak of, so the smokers and people who wanted some air spilled out onto the sidewalk, where we got to interact with the folks walking down the hill to the straight bars. Some of their costumes were very cute; the straight girls' favorite this year was Sarah Palin. One girl was dressed quite passably as Glinda the good witch of the North, and did a perfect spin and then sat down with her dress perfectly laid out around her.

By midnight, we were all tired, so we came home. I left my costume in the trunk of the car, so today when the rain dies down a bit, I must go put it all back together.

No comments: